Welcome to Leave A Trace’s new initiative.
In the summer of 2016, our then Director of Marketing and New Technologies, Matthew Lee, underwent training to learn how to hold vision screening clinics to improve vision for individuals who have little or no access to eye care or corrective lenses. Not long after, the Leave A Trace Foundation launched their own vision initiative, Clear Vision.
- 285 million people are estimated to be visually impaired worldwide: 39 million are blind and 246 million have low vision.
- About 90% of the world’s visually impaired live in low-income settings.
- 80% of all visual impairment can be prevented or cured.
- An estimated 19 million children are visually impaired. Of these, 12 million children are visually impaired due to a condition that could be easily diagnosed and corrected.
- The global economic cost of lost work productivity due to people with poor vision has been estimated at 700 billion dollars a year.
- 6 out of 10 people in the developed world wear glasses, contact lenses, or have had corrective eye surgery. 6 out of 10 people in the developing world are also vision impaired, but have little or no access to eye care or eyeglasses.
Source: World Health Organization (WHO)